Monday, October 16, 2017

Attractions in Ayuthaya


Ayuthaya Historical Park

The ancient city of Ayuthaya. The Thai capital for 417 years, it is one of Thailand’s major tourist attractions. Many ancient ruins and art works can be seen in a city that was founded in 1350 by King Uthong. During the period that Ayuthaya was the Thai capital, 33 kings of dynasties ruled the kingdom until it was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767.

Ayuthaya is 76 kilometers north of Bangkok and boasts magnificent ruins. These numerous ruins indicate the Ayuthaya was one of Indo-China’s most prosperous cities.

Ayuthaya covers 2,556 square kilometers, and is administratively divided into 16 districts (Amphoe). It is conveniently accessible due to good roads and its short distance from Bangkok.

Wihan Phra Mongkhon Bophit
Phra Mongkhon Bophit, a large bronze cast Buddha image, was originally enshrined outside the grand palace to the east. King Songtham commanded it to be transferred to the west where it is currently enshrined and covered with a Mondapa. During the 2nd fall of Ayuthaya, the building and the image were badly destroyed by fire. The one currently seen is a reconstruction. The open area northeast of the Sanctuary (Wihan) was formerly Sanam Na Chakkrawat where the royal cremation ceremony took place .

Wat Phra Si Sanphet
This important and outstanding monastery is located in the grand palace compound, like Wat Phra Si Ratanasatsadaram (Wat Phra Kaeo) Of Bangkok. It was used as a residential palace in the reign of King Ramathibodi I. When King Borom Trai Lokkanat commanded that new living quarters be built, this residential palace was dedicated as the royal chapel, originally Wat Phra Si Sanphet: The royal chapel was without monks and novice inhabitants.

The Royal Palace or Ancient Palace:
This covers an area in the north of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. It is believed that King Ramathibodi I (King Uthong) commanded it built while staying at Wiang Lek, in 1347. In 1350 these pavilions near Nong Sano were complete; King Uthong moved to resident here.

A first half of the palace lies itself in the compound of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. In 1448 King Borom Trai Lokkanat gave it to be this temple area, the royal monastery. Then he commanded new living quarters built in the north of the former area by Lop Buri River.
The Royal Palace consists of many important buildings. They
are…

Wihan Somdet Hall
It is located in the most south of the palace. The top of this hall has been decorated in a unique style of architecture called Prang. It has longer space in front and rear gabled rooms, and shorter space in the side gabled rooms. It was surrounded with two-sided crystal wall. King Prasat Thong commanded it constructed in 1643 to take the place of Mangkhalapisek Hall that was destroyed by a thunderbolt. The latter was called Prasat Thong (Golden Palace), as it was the first building that covered with gold for various royal ceremonies.

Sanphet Prasat Hall
This is prominent with its 5-tiered top that has been decorated in the same design as Wihan Somdet Hall. This middle building has the veranda that Kings used it to welcome foreign enjoys and visitors. The hall is placed in between albino elephant shacks.

Chakkrawat Phaichayon Hall
King Prasat Thong commanded it built in 1632 and named it as Siriyasothon Mahapiman Banyong Hall. It is like a castle at Angkor Thorn. Later, it was named Chakkrawat Phaichayon Hall. With a three-gabled roof, it is on the inner northeastern city wall of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. It was used to view processions and military practice as same as Phuttai Sawan Hall at the Grand Palace in Bangkok.

Trimuk Hall
This hall is different from others as it is the wooded construction and roofed with baked clay tile. It is situated in the south of Sanphet Prasat Hall. There is no evidence when it was built. It is assumed that it was the residential area of the consort members and the royal relaxing place in the garden. Trimuk Hall is the best-conditioned hall only in this area.

Banyong Rattanat Hall
Previously called as Phra Thinang Thaisa. It is unique as it is situated on an island in a pond and has four-gabled roof architecture. King Pheat Racha commanded it built as the residence inside and the royal relaxing place in 1688. It was visited all his reign. There is the stone throne inside for viewing the fish in the pond.
Song Puen Hall
It is the long oval-shaped hall by the western pond and Banyong Rattanat Hall. It is supposed that it was the field for fighting practice and was used as a government office in the reign of King Pheat Racha.

All visible remnants in the Royal Palace were the heritage in the reign of King Borom Trai Lokkanat. They were the residential palaces of every king of Ayuthaya.

The Ancient Palace is opened daily between 06:00 a.m.-06:00 p.m. Admission fee is 10 baht each Thai and 30 baht each foreign tourist.
For more information please call on (66)3524-2501 or (66) 3524-4570.

Wat Phraram
This monastery was situated outside the grand palace compound to the southeast. It was constructed by the royal command of King Ramesuan on the ground where the royal cremation ceremony for his father, King Uthong, took place. A big lagoon in front of this monastery was originally named “Nong Sano” Latterly “Bung Phraram”, and currently “Phraram Public Park”.
Wat phraram is open everyday from 08:30 a.m.-04:30 p.m.
(Admission : 30 Baht)

Wat Mahathat
Located in front of the grand palace to the east near Pa Than Bridge. It was constructed in the reign of King Borom Rachathirat I.
Wat Mahathat is open everyday from 08:30 a.m.-04:30 p.m.
(Admission : 30 Baht)

Wat Ratchaburana
This monastery was located near Pa Than Bridge Opposite Wat Mahathat. King Borom Rachathirat II (Chao Sam Phraya) commanded that two pagodas be built on the ground where Chao Ai and Chao Yi engaged in single-handed combat on elephant’s back, and both were killed. Later, he established a Wihan combined with the Prang near by and upgraded it to be a monastery.
Wat Ratchaburana is open everyday from 08:30 a.m.-04.30 p.m.
(Admission : 30 Baht)

Wat Yai Chaiyamongkhon
This monastery, constructed during the reign of King Uthong, is located outside the city to the southeast in the same direction as the railway station ; one can see its large pagoda from far away. King Naresuan the Great commanded that the pagoda be built to celebrate the victory of his single-handed combat on the elephant’s back. He also intended a huge construction to match the large pagoda of Wat Phukhao Thong, and named it “Phra Chedi Chaiyamongkhon”.
Open everyday from 08:30 a.m.-04.30 p.m.
(Admission : 20 Baht)

Wat Phananchoeng
This monastery is located south of Phra Nakhon Si Ayuthaya, it existed before Ayuthaya was founded as the capital. The principal image in the Wihan called “Phra Buddha Chao Phananchoeng” was built in A.D. 1325 ; it is made of stucco in the attitude of subduing evil; considered beautiful, it is most revered by the inhabitants of Ayuthaya.
Open everyday from 08:30 a.m. -04:30 p.m.
(Admission : 20 Baht)

Wat Na Phramen
The former name of this monastery was Wat Phra merura chikaram. Located on the bank of Khlong Sabua opposite the grand palace. The Ubosot design is of early Ayuthya style. The most interesting objects are the principal Buddha image, fully decorated in regal attire, and another ancient Buddha image made of stone in the small Wihan.
Open everyday from 08:30 a.m.-04:30 p.m.
(Admission : 20 Baht)

Wat Chaiwatthanaram
Another monastery located on the same river bank as Wat Phutthaisawan but to the west of the city island It was built by the Royal command of King Prasat Thong. The existing main Prang and pagodas around the corners are still in good shape. Wat Chaiwatthanaram is open everyday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
(Admission : 30 bahts)

Ayuthaya Historical Park
Admission fee : 10 baht each Thai folk : 30 baht each foreigner

How to get there :
By car : From Bangkok, drive along the Highway no. 1 and then travel on the Highway no. 32, some 76 km.

By bus : Take a bus from the Northern Bus Terminal to Ayuthaya.
Contact Transportation Co., Ltd.
Tel: (66)2-537-8055.

By train : A northern and northeastern train going to Ayuthaya is available between 05:47 a.m. -11:36 p.m.
For more informations,
call (66)2-223-3762.